A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience with a raised glass of water. Everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, ‘half empty or half full?’… She fooled them all …. “How heavy is this glass of water?” she inquired with a smile.
Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. To 20 oz.
She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it.
If I hold it for a minute, that’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my right arm.
If I hold it for a day, you’ll have to call an ambulance. In each case it’s the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.” She continued, “And that’s the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won’t be able to carry on.”
“As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we’re refreshed, we can carry on with the burden – holding stress longer and better each time practiced.
So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night… Pick them up tomorrow and sometimes they may disappear or get resolved.
More to think about:
1. Accept the fact that some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re the statue.
2. Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
3. Stress reducer: You can’t control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
4. If you can’t be kind, at least have the decency to be vague…remember, you may have to live with the response to your actions.
5. Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance…enjoy the present.
6. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
7. Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
8. A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
9. We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
10. A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
11. Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today.